Friday, April 11, 2008

A Day In The Life Of (A Night, Perhaps.)

I woke again this morning in a cold sweat. Recently I have struggled with images from my youth. Nightmares of of my "servitude" to my black mistress. Never in my life had I once considered anyone or myself to regard myself as lower than a slave, but I repeatedly struggle with the hardships of my past including my illnesses, starvation... The slaves, they took pity on me. Their sweet souls snuck me food and made an amazing effort to deliver letters to my father. I was finally rescued of course, and this event is long since in the past, however it still haunts me. I remember the slave vessel and how men women and children were packed in tight and orderly "shelves" like books. The sickness I had for their suffering, and the sickness I had for the smell. It was like offal rotting in the back alley of the butcher shop. Oh Lord, ease my suffering, forgive me, and continue to bless me as I struggle with the sins of my past.

5 comments:

cdent23 said...

Hang tough man. And I love the title of this blog.
*D-Stone*

thetyndale said...

haha i must agree with D-Stone. great title.
-will tyndale

The German Martyr said...

Ah man, wow. It was very nice of the slaves to feed. I hope you thanked them. The slave ship thing sounds awful. All I can say is just keep praying and things will get better.
RoPo

Sasha said...

Your attitude shows how you put your life in the hands of God and are earnestly trying to be faithful. This was a good story to recount and a good way to express your beliefs, as well.

(sasha)

Saint Benedict said...

Slave ships sound like hell. Sorry you were so hard on yourself
St. Benedict/Matt B.